Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Being Present

What does it mean to be present? Personally, I feel that being present allows you to be comfortable with where you are no matter what is going on around you. It's an inner knowing that brings about comfort, peace, and confident assurance for you.

I can imagine for women and loved ones dealing with illness each person might have different meanings of what it means to be present. As a family therapist, I'm genuinely interested in understanding what it means for each of you. I enter the therapy room offering that mindset with all my clients. It allows me to genuinely listen, be curious, and to build a relational connection through sharing your experience with me.

With all the changes that cancer can bring, I can imagine that being present might be quite a challenge. For a moment, I ask you to center yourself and focus on experiences that allow you to be present. Note and feel that particular experience that brings about that inner peace and joy. Cancer doesn't have to rule your life and you can find moments that allow you to have a life you want just simply by being present.

1 comment:

  1. I believe that being "present" is essential for life. However, I feel that it is a much easier thing to "say" than to "do". I have always felt like I could channel the concept of "being present" at any time. I could easily block out the destractions of the world and really focus on what was going on in "the present". After caring for a parent with colon cancer, I realize what being present means for me. It means taking each moment/day as it comes and learning how to truly be comfortable with your feelings in that moment. During my father's last days, I had plenty of my own issues that were weighing me down. Surprisingly, I found a way to ignore everything that was bothering me and enjoy the time that I had with him. That experience helped me realize how precious our time is on this earth. I use to feel like people that haven't gone through that experience first hand would/could understand the stress that it can bring...but now I know better:) Thanks so much for this blog and an opportunity to share with others. God Bless!!

    ReplyDelete